Thursday, April 3, 2014

Concerts 2014: Where We've Been and Where We're Going

David and I go to a lot of concerts and live shows.  Screw vacations.  We spend our money on concert tickets and merch.  Sometimes I can only leave work a little early and then go in at 8:30 the next day, but its worth every yawn and cup of coffee.  I'm sure a lot of my friends and family wonder why I do it to myself.  There have been weeks where I've had 2 concerts in addition to working 40 hours, class, and homework.  Don't even askhttp://www.club66.net/me about the week I had mid-terms and two concerts.

There is something wonderful about being in the midst of a crowd that loves an artist as much as you do.  So far I've only been to small venue concerts and am pretty much in front of the stage for every event.  David has been to many large venues and lucky boy even got to go to Hammerjacks back in the heyday.  Then again, he does have a few years on me.  ;)

This year we will be going to two mid-size venues and then a stadium show.  I'm super stoked, but also a little apprehensive.  Last year at The Shindig I got stuck in a mosh pit and had a crowd surfer dropped on me.  The mosh pit was fine.  The crowd surfer was a big guy and it HURT. I hope neither happens at Bruce Springsteen.  We have general admission tickets and I've been told that was either the best decision ever, or the worst.  Below is a list of what's on tap for 2014, but I know the list will only grow.

Concerts we have been to so far in 2014:

February 7
The Smithereens
FED Live, Harrisburg, PA

March 5
Randy Rogers Band
Stoney LaRue
Wade Bowen
Rams Head Live, Baltimore, MD

March 28
Johnny Chill
Penny Black, Spike Settles (opening)
Club 66, Edgewood, MD


Concerts we have planned:

April 4
Jam Sandwich
Us (opening)
Club 66, Edgewood, MD

April 11
Emmylou Harris
Lincoln Theater, DC

May 14
The Boss
Hershey, PA

June 19
Here Come the Mummies
State Theatre, Falls Church, VA

June 20
Here Come the Mummies
Rams Head, Hanover, MD

July 23
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
DAR Revolution Hall, DC

November
Stanstock Music Festival (2-day cancer benefit)
Timonium Fairgrounds, Timonium, MD


Before I let you go, I must have a moment of silence for the now closed Recher Theatre in Towson.  It was closed and turned into a dance club.  The sound in that place was unbelievable.  It didn't matter if you were in front of the stage, in the back, in the bathroom, or at the bar - it sounded great.  The Baltimore music scene will never be the same and a little piece of my heart will always mourn its absence.

I would also like to give a shout out to Club 66 in Edgewood, MD.  This is a small intimate venue with unique ambiance and a killer sound system.  It used to be a hardware store and is next to an auto shop.  The owner, Dave Rode, is the nicest guy and treats everyone like they are guests in his home.  Concerts range from local bands to national acts.  Shows start earlier and end by 11pm.  If you haven't been here, you are missing out. There is magic in those walls.

www.club66.net

No comments:

Post a Comment